Thursday, January 20, 2011

"LIFE IS TO BE ENJOYED, NOT ENDURED."

Gordon B. Hinckley

Gordon B. Hinckley has been on my mind a lot lately and his famous quote, "Life is to be enjoyed, not endured."  How true is this statement?!  How many times do i get caught up in life and the changes that go with it and wonder how i can handle this or that.  In the dictionary endure is defined, "to hold out against; sustain without impairment or yielding; undergo." Sometimes having to endure the pressures of life is really tough, and the changes that life brings are hard to keep up with.  It seems that you just start getting used to a certain way of life when all of the sudden it flips completely around and you think that you'll never get used to it.  I've learned that dwelling on how things used to be and always looking back just causes misery because life changes and that is the way it is intended to be.  All we need to do is embrace the changes, and those changes can turn into new adventures and learning experiences.  At the end of the day you will always have family and friends that are dear to you.  These people make your life enjoyable and should be the focus of life.  So back to the quote, "Life is to be enjoyed, not endured." This is what i have learned since life has changed somewhat for me.  I was so busy focusing on the things in life that i wasn't sure i liked that i forgot to remember the wonderful blessings i have to enjoy everyday like my most wonderful, hard-working husband that i love so much and am so fortunate to be with. Our new little baby that is going to bless our life more than words can describe. My wonderful family that loves me so much and has made me the person i am and is the example for the person i want to be. And great supportive in-laws that have welcomed me with open arms and supported us with all that we need.  These blessings are so dear to my heart and i am thankful to enjoy my life with them instead of endure it. 

2 comments:

  1. Lace you sound so happy!! :) That is great to hear and know I guess lol. I like the quote never heard it before, but it makes sense and its a good quote. Congrats to you and Tadd for your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is not easy to enjoy life and i must say that i am in fighting life mode most of the time and thus experience it as enduring it. I probably get the "you are so negative" response but one can not discount one's background as to why and how one sees the world and life. This is not an excuse. I am almost 60 now and despite the fact that I have not lived in third world circumstances, had good health, reasonably sufficient money to get by through skill and ability to sustain myself, i wouldnt want to live life again and that there will come a day that i will have had enough of life and be glad that i will cease to exist. I was wise enough never to have brought children into this basically horrible world. Wars, femine, despicable violence, mental health issues, depressing limitations life no doubt produces, it seems fairly pointless to me. Am i depressed? Not really,life is a hard slog, the system doing all it can to destroy you financially, wreck you emotionally.

    ReplyDelete